Saturday, December 16, 2006

Blood Diamond thoughts

I saw an excellent movie today. I really did not expect much. I've found many epics involving Leonardo DiCaprio long and dull (see "Gangs of New York"). "Blood Diamond" is fantastic. It was a long film that did not seem long. DiCaprio himself was fantastic (I never thought I'd say that, either).

As most of you know, it's about the war diamond trade. It is filled with disturbing images of violence done by the RUF. One of the major characters is a child who is kidnapped and brain-washed into a soldier. He shoots his first prisoner blind-folded.

I have an image about Africa that my friends who have been there are welcome to correct. In "Screwtape Proposes a Toast,"s written in the early 60s CS Lewis complains that though England (and the West in general) had become peaceful after two World Wars, society in general was becoming mediocre. Hell could feast luke-warm souls. In contrast, these war-torn parts of Africa has brought about some terrible people. The RUF fighters in the movie reminded me of that. Yet, for some reason, some of the most admirable present-day warriors for Christianity are Africans. I think of my friend Haswell, an African missionary in Italy who has never failed to encourage me. I think of my own church. We are part of the Rwandan Mission to America. Of course, the first thing I think of when I think of Rwanda is genocide. I was wondering if I would have to explain myself somehow whenever I would tell people about my church. A church of peace - and the first thought is genocide. I'm sensitive about any war-like images associated with the church.

My pastor told me the story of our church. The Anglican Mission movement in Rwanda was birthed after the genocide, when Rwandan pastors with the help of Prison Fellowship brought the ministry of reconciliation to both survivors and perpetrators. This led to revival. This led to a church mission which spilled into America, where I worship now.

Maybe when it's most obvious that we live in a fallen world is it most obvious who lives for Christ and who doesn't. Is that comfort for the suffering? I have no idea. Maybe it will be. We wish God would stop things. His way is often to redeem things. He's very committed to redemption. He died for it. And when it happens, some of us coming out looking more like him. That's certainly true for a lot of Africans I've met.

No comments: