Wednesday, March 18, 2009

In the name of the Rose

Yes, it's happened before, but there are more violent threats from French wine-growers, according to The Economist's Charlemagne. This time, it's about a decision in Brussels to allow European wine producers to mix red and white wine to produce pink wine more cheaply. This would allow the Europeans to better compete against cheaper New World alternatives.

What do you think? Would relaxing wine standards cause French wine to "become Coca-Cola"? Or, does it not follow, as Charlemagne suggests, that the invisible hand would water down good wine?

I agree with Charlemagne in one respect: I'm not that big of a pink wine fan. Could anyone recommend a good one that would change my mind (I'm no expert, but red, dry Spanish wines have always suited me).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We need to do some explorations of Rose wine. Will work on this.