Friday, February 5, 2010

Allow Conscientious Objectors

Germany allows conscientious objectors to refrain from military service, of course. In Germany, all young men are required to serve nine months in the military, though conscientious objectors may petition to spend the nine months in civilian services (volunteer work at hospitals, for example), and the petition is almost always accepted. I heard once that 60% of all German men are conscientious objectors. And why not? Given the horror and shame of World War II, it is no wonder that the nation leans towards pacifism, and if it is possible to lean too far towards pacifism, it is much better than leaning too far in the other direction. It is a mark of a free society to allow someone to abstain from a duty for reasons of conscience. Those of us who love a free society recognize that at times, the wrong people can be put in government. They can make bad decisions in war and peace, and the right of an individual to thoughtfully withdraw their services when the decisions of those in power, even if they reflect the will of the majority, violate their moral beliefs.

It is in that same spirit that I applaud a Memphis, Tennessee judge's decision to grant political asylum to a German family. Their crime? Homeschooling. Though there are options, including religious private schools, homeschooling is illegal in Germany. It should not be, and I don't say this as a right-wing public school hater. I support public schools. I am a proud product of public schools, and I appreciate the experience. Public school gave me a love for literature and history, and it trained and affirmed me in my writing (I know, I know, with mixed results, but hey, I haven't had any training since then). It couldn't sell me on mathematics, but I don't think anyone else could have either. My wife is a product of German public schools, and, at least at the Gymnasium level, I was impressed with the amount of classical education she received.

Aside from the debate about the effectiveness of public vs. home, I believe that even in the best public schooling circumstances, parents should be allowed to conscientiously object from public schools. Yes, they may be objecting to sound science, but I assure you, plenty of parents will do so and teach their kids likewise even if they spend their afternoons in class. Allowing conscientious objectors from public schools is an acknowledgement that those in power, those who control curriculums, may not always be right. Most German commentary has been derisive of these "Fundy-Christians" (as the German version of the Spiegel headline called them), and much of the commentary posted under the article swing between bewilderment and sarcasm. "I'm sure Ned Flanders will welcome them with open arms," scoffed one of them. Imagine, then, if fundamentalist Christians took over the government. Imagine that through whatever societal change, they were elected peacefully with the enthusiastic support of the majority. Imagine how they might change the public school curriculum if they were given the power to do so. What would the same commentators think of a family who fled to America because they wanted to teach their children natural selection and give them the chance to read Voltaire?

As Germans are well aware, wretched people with wicked intentions can obtain access to government. What if, over the protests of clergy and scientists, racism came back into vogue and became required reading for our children. Such a scenario is very unlikely, but it could happen. Good educational policy must allow for the objectors. Sure, regulate and check in on homeschoolers as appropriate. Make sure their children receive a quality education (which has been the case for every homeschooler I know). But for the sake of freedom of conscience, allow it.

2 comments:

M and E said...

You have to admit, the Ned Flanders comment is awfully funny. :)

Great article, and I think your reasoning is good. But what would many Americans think if that same Tennessee judge granted political asylum to French muslims, who cannot wear the burqa? Or what if it was a traditional Muslim family who wanted to homeschool their children? Would we still welcome them with open arms? Or what if it was Mexico that outlawed homeschooling? How would we respond to this?

I think what I'm getting at is that most people will be ok with this because Germany (and Christians still, believe it or not) are not "offensive" to most Americans. But what would many Americans think if it was Muslims or "Mexican immigrants" we were talking about? Should they still have the same access to political asylum?

Un Till said...

Liz, you make a few good points. On the questions of different kinds of individuals, I suspect that a majority of Americans are indifferent to homeschoolers, regardless of their origin or religion, and that those who truly care about homeschooling are a vocal minority of conservative Christians, who have done a great job organizing themselves, as well a minority in education, policy and academia who oppose homeschooling and would prefer a supposedly easier-to-regulate mandatory public model (remember when DC homeschoolers had to fight for their own existence after a crime happened in a homechooling family? No one ever says to shut down public schools after a school shooting). I think the question is, would this muslim family from France get the same sort of support from American homeschoolers as this German family has? I suspect in principle, yes, but I don't know if they would put the same resources or community behind it. I hope that they would... it would also be the right thing to do, and it would be a good representation of the Gospel in those lives as well. (if there are actual facts or studies to correct any of the above, I am happy to see them)

There may be a practical government question of this could open up a sort of pandora's box of homeschooling refugees that we need to pay for, and I would understand these sort of concerns. Even if this were likely (I doubt it is), I still say it was the right thing to do.

Actually, if I had known this German family, I would have counseled them to stay in Germany, and I would like to write about that a bit more for my next post.