Sunday, April 18, 2010

Time to Shine

My wife and daughter are in Orlando visiting my parents (I'll join them later this week), but that means I am on my own for tonight's church potluck. And, for the first time in my church's history, my name is in the "main dish" section. I decided that I will not be picking up a bucket of chicken on the 8th street Popeye's, I am making a dish. That's right. I am making it, and then I am going to bring it.

The dish? Cucumber sandwiches.

The ingredients?
  1. A skinned, slice cucumber (the one my wife left instructions to eat by tonight or it will go bad)
  2. Cream Cheese - the brand of a local grocery
  3. Spongey sandwich bread - my wife got it for free at a grocery store for some promotion. It should be good for cucumber sandwiches - or so I thought.
  4. Seasoning - generous portions of dill, salt and pepper.
Hey, these are pretty much all we have in the house that my wife did not lovingly plan for me. (As I write this, I am thawing an enchilada)

The results?

Well, spongey sandwich bread is terrible for spreading cream cheese. I put everything together, and it tastes ok, but each sandwich looks like it's been in a cat fight. I loving cut them up, but I did not remove the crust. My mother did not remove the crust for me, and I will not do it for you.

I admit, I am a bit embarrassed to take these wounded sandwiches to church. This is a city that expects excellence. But if we can't take our little offerings to church, where else?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ich bin stolz auf Dich!!! :-)

Justin Thorp said...

I didn't see these. If I would have known, I would have tried them.

PS - Hope today's going well for ya bro.