Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Parenting Tip: Give Your Child Choices

After over two-and-a-half years of parenting, I feel I'm qualified to give a few tips out to all the struggling parents out there. I don't do this too often, lest I come across as immodest, but mercy compels me to speak every once in awhile.

My father told me (and he might have gotten this from Bill Cosby, but I'm not sure) that when it comes to kids, it's good to give them choices, but in such a way that they make the right choice. This way, the child is convinced to do the right thing without going through the stubbornness struggle that comes with simply issuing an unpopular order.

For example, when it's time to take a nap, I tell my two-your-old daughter: "Daughter, do you want to take you nap, or do you want to go to the doctor's and get a shot?"

When it's time to take her home from a beloved friend or Oma's house or anywhere else that's new and fun, I say, "Do you want to go home, or would you rather go to the doctor's and get a shot?"

Bath time? "Get in the tub! Unless, that is, you'd rather go to the doctor's and get a shot."

Finicky eater? "You can either finish your rotkraut or go to the doctor's and get a shot."

And of course, every evening, after lovingly reading her a story and singing a soothing, biblically-themed love-a-bye, I whisper: "It's time to go to bed, darling. Either that, or you can go to the doctor's and get a shot."

Of course, when it's actually time to go to the doctor... well... I let my wife handle that one.

No comments: