Friday, June 14, 2013

Ten Things To Say to Young Children That Guarantee Their Parents Will Never Ask You To Babysit Them Again

You know you've thought it. You watched the darling couple get married, settle down, blossom, and then, oh tears of happiness! the woman's belly turned into a baby bump, grew, and, before you can shake a pastel-pink rattle - pop - that plushy miniature human is resting and cooing in the arms of a glowing young Mother.

Twelve-thousand Facebook photos later (good luck analyzing those, NSA!), those two parents, all smug and smiling on the Internet, really need a break. I mean, they haven't seen a film since the first Ironman came out, and the wife always mutters "vodka cranberry" every time her bundle of joy comes running. So, they ask you, their very dear friend to babysit. Of course, they think you'd babysit! You've known them since college, were present at every significant event, you wept at their wedding (and overpaid for that tux/bridesmaids dress, mind you) and kept a social media vigil while their child was being born! I mean, of course!

You have two options. You could tell them the truth: "I don't think your kids like me, besides, I can't be confined to your house when you don't even have HBO! I mean, hello, Game of Thrones!"

Nah, I didn't think so. The best approach is the passive-aggressive approach, because it keeps relational conflict below the surface - where it belongs. So option number two is to warp the minds of their kid(s) into such a twisted little pre-kindergarten knot that those mooching parents never ask you to babysit again. You'll have to sacrifice one night of freedom, of course. But to be free for the rest of your life, tell those lil' anklebiters any combination of the following:
  1. "Interesting how your dad made you eat all that salad. Dinner at my house was always a snickers bar with a side of gummy bears. Healthy, and better tasting too."
  2. "Baseball is an indoor sport. Extra points if you hit Mom's blender!"
  3. "Why doesn't your mom still breast feed you? I guarantee you everyone else in preschool is still breast fed."
  4. "Your bed is a dangerous place. If your parents loved you, they'd let you sleep in their room."
  5. "Yeah, I smoked to impress people at school. It worked, too! Don't regret it one bit." 
  6. "I brought over my favorite movie! It's about a little girl like you! It's called The Exorcist!"
  7. "Baths are completely unnecessary. A waste of time, if you ask me." 
  8. "Wiping your bottom is completely unnecessary. A waste of time, if you ask me." 
  9. "Let's call your granny and ask her why Mommy always pays more attention to her iPad than to me." 
  10. "Good night! Remember, I promise you can drink a Coke for breakfast." 
Oh, and if you try any of these with my daughter, I'll release a live badger your living room. 

No comments: