Thursday, February 19, 2009

Peanuts

Every once in awhile, I'll find something interesting on the internet and email it to myself with the heading "blog idea." As you can imagine, I have more "blog idea" emails in my inbox than I actually have blogs. Often, they go out of date. The shelf life for blog ideas is about as long as your average attention span.

Here is a few week old article from the New York Times, that, much like its subject, has withstood the test of time. I have always loved the funny-pages. I still do, though I don't think there are any great comics since Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side no longer run (and whenever I need to cheer myself up, you can find on the couch, shoes off, laughing as Calvin picks himself up from a tiger-pounce).

Peanuts, of course, is the granddaddy of the American comic. Few strips manage to be that honest and consistent for so long. For instance, take a look at this article on "Peanuts scholars" examining Schroeder's musical scores. Who knew a comic could have scholars? These sort of stories demand that Sunday afternoons be much longer.

No comments: