Saturday, February 28, 2009

U2 has made more rock and roll

I'm probably the last person to know, but U2's new album is now available on their MySpace site. I was half-listening to it at work yesterday. It has not grabbed me yet as most of their previous albums have, but Bono's voice and the Edge's guitar remain something like old friends, familiar noises I heard over and over as I discovered rock and roll as a teenager. I'm sure I will buy it.

By the way, a question for the powers that be: is it still cool to like U2? I know the key to being hip is being, like, totally over things. The quicker you are over something, the hipper you are. I know, in the past decade, Bono was doing a lot of things: making platinum, award-winning albums, trying to save Africa and spreaking at universities, so a lot of hip magazines and people were over him. Can I be cool if I'm not over him, or his band, yet? I mean, I still try to give a lot of love to bands you may not have heard of, particular if I personally know people in them (please see the "listen" section on the left-hand side of your screen). But I still love me some U2.

No comments: