Sunday, July 17, 2011

Back from Austria

The first thing we noticed is that the hills surrounding Plochingen were smaller. They looked more like bumps, actually (though, I have to admit, they felt like mountains again when I tried to run up one during my jog this morning). That's what they looked like yesterday, when we arrived back from our two-week vacation in Serfaus, Austria, a resort town located in the mighty Alps. For any Americans reading this, the Alps are the mountains in The Sound of Music, and yes, the hills were alive. For any Austrians reading this, I'm sorry. I know that movie is a stench to your nostrils, and I won't mention it again.

Of course, mountainous is relative. My home town of Orlando is so flat that you can climb a palm tree and see Cocoa Beach on a clear day. When I went to college, Tallahassee's modest hills seemed mountainous by comparison. Plochingen's small green mountains, not unlike the Appalachians, are another beauty all together, but it was a wonderful thing to hike the Alps (more on that later).

Our holiday apartment did not have internet access, save an inconsistent shared computer in the hallway, which was good only for short emails, light Facebook stalking and reading post-match Women's World Cup reports. Nonetheless, I made it my habit to write as often as I could (all most every day! *patting myself on the back*) about what I saw, felt and experienced in Austria. In the next couple of weeks, I will edit and post my better musings on this blog with the label "Austrian Correspondence" (though I don't rule out that I'll post other things as well). I will also comment on some of the Alps' delectable dairy products on Justin's food blog.

I'll start tomorrow, but in the meantime, let me say adieu to you and you and you. (sorry)

1 comment:

M and E said...

Just saw pictures on FB. Am now contemplating selling all of our earthly possessions, moving to what may be one of the most beautiful areas of the world, and raising dairy cows. Or alpacas :)