Sunday, March 4, 2007

Book List

I am a very moody reader. I usually am reading five books at the same time, each of I'll read in fits and spurts. I'm not dogmatic about what books I read, but I am always trying to read at least one book that is spiritually edifying and one book that is more culturally edifying. My favorite books manage to be both (at the moment, my favorite book is "Les Miserables," which I consider to be a 1400 page Gospel presentation. 2nd and 3rd place go to the Russians, with "War and Peace," and "The Brothers Karamazov" close behind them. Three cheers for really long epics!). I also enjoy a book that is more like fast-food or candy - something that I can read quickly without much effort. Books like the "Harry Potter" series or "the Good German" have served this purpose. It's easy to surround myself with Christian inspiration without engaging the world. Amidst so many books that I find rather fluffy (though they encourage many better saints than I), there are some real gems, particularly if you are willing to go back in time. Many of these books are worth reading over and over. However, as a Christian I have a commitment to be in the world as well. That means engaging the art that does not appear to be Christian on the surface. For most people, this is not a problem, and it really shouldn't be a problem. I can find myself involuntarily over-identifying my life with certain characters and certain situation, which becomes rather neurotic (of course, this has been a negative with some Christian books as well). For example, I once heard Terri Gross interview Zadie Smith on NPR's show, "Fresh Air." Smith seemed like an incredibly interesting person. She seemed like someone I would want to have coffee with and learn things from. She was talking about her book, "On Beauty" which I bought and read this Fall. Smith didn't let me down. She is a brilliant writer, and her book was a page turner that made me think deeper about the culture wars, race, family, academics and marriage. However, the book is also incredibly sad and prone to some British-style cynicism, and in certain moods, I found it difficult to disengage myself from either of these emotions. I'm not proud of this, and I recommend the book to anyone who can enjoy art more responsibly. Moreover, I rarely completely flee a book, but I read it, like I read everything, in fits and starts, waiting for the mood to sink in to the point where I could find reality.

All this is in preface to a new feature in my blog, which I hope to update regularly, say... weekly. I want to present a booklist of what I am currently reading. I also want to list some of the kind of books I would like to be reading. My moody reading-style, combined with a busy schedule (full of work, friends, church, roommates and sleep), means that I don't get through books as quickly as I would like to.

So, at the moment I am reading:

1) "The Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henri Nouwen. I was impressed by his insight as a minister in "the Wounded Healer," but this book has been one of those books that shows me myself and shows me God. I knew it would become a favorite when I started. I am almost finished.

2) "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger. This book is, of course, part of my efforts to catch up on the "classics." As millions already know, "the Catcher in the Rye" is brilliant. I didn't like it at first - getting used to it was like learning to like dry wine. But now it's becoming a fascinating portrait of Holden Caufield. It's the kind of book I need to savor and think about, so it's slow going. Metro rides to work aren't cutting it.

3) "Spurgeon's Sermons, Volume VI." My dad did what every reformed pastor probably has done: bought the entire set of Charles Spurgeon's sermons. I am reading this as part of my weekend devotions, though I read it a lot more before I had a job. It's classic Baptist preaching, it's quite Calvinist, and they almost always point to the Gospel in a new and beautiful way. Of course, it is also a look into the age of Christian past. I warn you that his sermons were preached before the days of political correctness, which is refreshingly uncomfortable.

4) "A Severe Mercy," by Sheldon Vanaunken. Anyone familiar with this book knows a girl recommended it to me. The romanticism in the first chapter was so sticky sweet that it almost made me give up, but it's gotten really good, and there are some great quotes about Christianity, education and life. It's a memoir about his marriage and his faith, and it features his interactions and correspondence with CS Lewis (funny aside: Lewis's name is featured more prominently on the cover than poor Sheldon's). I love how it shows to highly-educated dreamers become Christians, and when he's not overly romantic about certain things, I relate to many parts of his story. It is, of course sad as well.

5) "Gemeinsam Leben" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. This is "Life Together" in the original German. I am trying to read it, but being in German means I need to double my concentration (not easy for Mr. Short Attention Span over here). I intend to go to a cafe very soon and spend some focused time on this book. The Metro doesn't cut it here, either. However, his opening chapter about his vision for community and what can endanger community, even in its infancy, has made an impression.

6) "Mit Liedern Beten" by Albert Frey. This is "Praying with Songs," by my favorite worship leader. I wish I could share him with my American friends. He journeys more into the heart of what it means to lead others to worship through song, and I recommend it to anyone who leads worship (and speaks German).

No comments: